TIM offers connectivity in its offer optic fiber on a FTTH network also a modem. Those who choose to combine it with their own line can count on a ready-made solution. This means that when the installer arrives it will be enough to connect the modem to the line to start navigating right away. Obviously, it will be possible to do this by connecting both via the LAN network and through wireless support. The advantage of this solution is that it is not necessary to change the configuration of the modem except to modify any advanced parameters.
In contrast, users have less freedom in configuring their network as some aspects cannot be touched. Thanks to the Free Modem resolution, it is possible to choose to adopt a fiber modem owned in order to have the maximum freedom of setup for your line. Obviously, by taking this route you need to configure your modem by hand.
Fortunately, TIM has published on its support site a convenient and quick guide that shows all the parameters that must be entered in order to connect to the Internet using a proprietary modem.
Telecom fiber optic modem: setup
With technology FTTH, the optical fiber arrives directly at home and must be connected to an optical termination provided by TIM, called ONT (Optical Network Termination). The modem in your possession must be connected to the optical termination (ONT) using an Ethernet Category 5e network cable or higher than the Ethernet WAN port.
The device used for the data connection must have a Gigabit Ethernet Full-Duplex Auto-Sensing WAN network interface and support for the 802.1q Ethernet protocol is required. These are the parameters:
- USERNAME: telephone_number
- PASSWORD: timadsl
- PROTOCOL: PPPoE Routed (defined as RFC 2516)
- ENCAPSULATION: 802.1q Ethernet VLAN
- NAT: active
- VLAN: 835
To use voice services in mode VoIP on FTTH technology connections, it is necessary to configure the VoIP service on the modem. For the correct operation of the Voice service, the device must use the DNS obtained automatically during the connection and must be able to make SRV requests to them. The parameters to use are as follows:
- SIP Domain: telecomitalia.it
- SIP Protocol: UDP Port 5060
- Expire Time: Minimum 86400 seconds
- Supported codecs: Required G.729, G.711 A-law – Optional codec G.722
- Fax and POS management supported with G.711 A-law and T.38 protocol
- Packetization Time: 20ms
- DTMF tones support: RFC 2833 / RFC 4733
- DSCP Marking: 40 (dec)
- VAD (Voice Activity Detection): disabled
- Support 100rel (message PRACK) according to RFC3262: enabled
- UPDATE support, according to RFC3311: enabled